Today I decided to make a chocolate-almond pastry that’s a sight for sore eyes. It may look amazing but be sure that it tastes even better. The puff pastry and the perfectly melted chocolate blend into a rich breakfast or afternoon treat.
Prep time: 50 min; Servings: 6
- 3 oz. of chocolate
- 1 lb. of puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 oz. grated almonds
Method of preparation:
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- Place the puff pastry on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Put the chocolate bar at the center.
- Cut out thick diagonal strips on each side of the chocolate bar.
- Fold the ends over the chocolate bar and fold the sides for braid.
- Brush with egg yolk.
- Sprinkle over the crushed almonds.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
A flaky, croissant-like chocolate delight, sprinkled with some almonds, wrapped in light, puff pastry. My kids are totally in love with this pastry braid. Whenever I make it, they always start nagging me “Mommy, can we have this for lunch as well, please, please, please!” which is followed by the sweet “struggle” about lunch meal because it always stays in the shadows of this hearty breakfast. To be honest, I understand them so much.
The chocolate braid is also my friend`s favorite dessert, and I usually serve it with white or rosé wine.
A match made in heaven! Enjoy!